Hello to all my friends in Surprise, and I hope you are all well and safe. Things seem to be getting a little better. Folks are starting to get their vaccines. I will be getting my booster shot next week, but we must keep our guard up; we can’t relax just yet. I can’t believe that we have been fighting this pandemic for a full year.
City Hall is still closed to the general public, most of the Council are working from our home offices, and most meetings continue to be on Zoom.
I attended my Valley Metro meeting on the 21st of January and again online from City Hall.
I know we have some Whataburger fans in Surprise. Well, I have some good news. The City of Surprise Economic Development Department tells us that Whataburger is building next to Costco, so get ready for a burger.
The Greenway Road improvement project is underway. Utility work for this project is requiring the closure of Sarival Avenue from Custer Lane to Greenway Road until March 1, 2021. The Greenway Road improvement project will add two travel lanes and eliminate areas where the roadway merged into one lane. The project is scheduled to be complete in November 2021, weather permitting.
We do have some openings on our Commissions and Boards, so the Boards and Commissions Nominations Committee will be meeting in early February to fill those seats. If you have an interest, you can call our City Clerk’s office at 623-222-1200.
- Surprise Day of Service February 20 and March 20 beginning at 8 a.m. Volunteer to help out with various projects, including landscaping, painting, trimming of shurbs, debris removal and more. To volunteer, please contact Larry Garcia at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, please visit Surprise-Day-of-Service.
- Tax assistance program – The City of Surprise has partnered again with A New Leaf who facilitates the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program. The program will begin on Feb 8th at the Surprise Resource Center and Feb 10th at Riverboat Bingo. To make an appointment call the Surprise Resource Center at 623-222-1600. For additional information, click here.
- Community Legal Services – Is proud to offer Lunchtime Law Lessons every Friday on a variety of topics. Every session is a Zoom Virtual Workshop. Click here to register and join Legal Staff for live No-Cost workshops!
February 12 – Male Victims of Abuse
February 19 – TBD
February 26 – Social Security Denials and Appeals
March 5 – Consumer Law and Federal Student Loan updates
- National Community Survey coming soon – What do you love about living in Surprise? The National Community Survey will be mailed to select households this month and offered online to the community at large beginning in mid-March. Details will be provided at www.surpriseaz.gov when they become available.
- Surprise Progress Magazine – Free. Click on the link below to check out what is happening in Surprise!
Progress Magazine Winter 2021 (surpriseaz.gov)
I will close for now, so be good to yourselves and be good to each other.
Roland F. Winters Jr.