Greetings, District One!
I hope the month of August is off to a wonderful start for you! As most of you are aware, Council is back in session after a month long recess in July. Despite the recess though, we were and continue to be very busy!
I was able to attend the Marley Park Veteran’s Commemorative Plaza (VCP) event in Marley Park on Independence Day. The VCP is for the community to commemorate those who have served or may currently serve in the armed forces. The event was well attended and Vice Mayor Hall (Army) and Councilman Biundo (Marines) were acknowledged for their military service.
I was fortunate to receive an invitation to the West Valley Gubernatorial Forum and Debate at ASU West on Tuesday, July 22nd along with many other elected officials from around the Valley.
On July 24th, Mayor Wolcott and several other Council Members including myself attended the grand opening and ribbon cutting of the West Valley Arts Council in their new facility at the City Center. The 2,500 square foot gallery will have regularly changing exhibits by local artists. It is just north of City Hall next to the Surprise Regional Chamber of Commerce.
Surprise Farms III held their Annual HOA Meeting at Willow Canyon High School on July 24. I was grateful for the invitation. I was able to provide artist renditions of the amenities of the Surprise Farms Park.
The City Council was invited to interview a top candidate for Assistant City Manager on Friday, July 25. Bob Wingenroth, City Manager, has really taken over the reigns and is in the process of building an excellent leadership team. We look forward to seeing our beautiful city grow, both in and out of City Hall.
We are excited to announce that the crews working from Fire Station 304 moved into their new facility on June 28th. We thank them for their patience and welcome them to their new temporary home!
My August schedule is getting quite full. Below, please find a quick glance at the meetings and events I will be attending:
- August 5th, 4 pm – City Council Work Session
- August 5th, 6 pm – City Council Meeting
- August 11th, 11 am – Tour of Benevilla
- August 12th, 7 am – Surprise Chamber of Commerce Breakfast
- August 13th, 7:30 am – Dysart Unified School District Breakfast Meeting
- August 14th, 6 pm – Surprise Fire Medical Promotion Ceremony
- August 16th, 9 am – ADOT 303/I-10 Ribbon Cutting
- August 18th, 4 pm – City Council Work Session
- August 18th, 6 pm – City Council Meeting
- August 19th through August 23rd – Arizona League of Cities Conference
- August 28th, 3:30 pm – Water Planning Sub-Committee Meeting
Also, please mark your calendar for my next meet and greet will take place on September 19. Mark your calendars! I hope to see you there!
Until we meet again, stay cool and be safe,
Councilman Roland F. Winters, Jr.